Friday, June 22, 2012

Race #1: Nationals ITT

First race at Nationals is done! Yesterday was the ITT. My race was 12 miles on a rolling course (6 miles out and back). Things were pretty hectic before my start, but I managed to get there with enough time to complete rollout. I had a tube of ice (packed in some panty-hose...) stuffed down the back of my skinsuit to keep my core nice and cool throughout my race, and it worked very well. Although I had strange water marks all along my backside...

Women's 17/18 TT podium 
Anyways, the course starts out on a dam, and immediately after I shot out of the start gate I settled in to suffer. Last year's winning time was around 29 minutes, but the top five riders finished within 1 minute or so from that time, so my goal was to finish the race in under 30 minutes to at least make the podium. 

2012 ITT Podium, Junior Women 17-18.
I passed a lot of girls on the rollers (tiny little things coming from Vermont!) and that's where I made up a lot of time. My mouth was extremely dry on the second leg of the TT – the whole race I had it wide open attempting to get as much air as possible (not sure how aero that is...). Anyways, before hitting the bridge and coming into the homestretch I passed another rider, and I was gaining on the next rider in front of me but I just couldn't close the gap before the finish.

Less than 200m from the finish! 

Coming out of the starting gate.


I crossed the line in 30:14.72 good enough for a 5th place finish! Not too bad, especially since I wasn't running a $15,000 time trial rig! You can see full results here. Coming into the TT I really didn't have any expectations for myself; while I had been practicing quite a bit since KSR and tweaking my position, this race was only my fourth TT race ever.

Me and my teammate Ian after our award ceremonies. He also placed 5th in his age group!  


No comments:

Post a Comment